Christianity and the Tattoo Phenomenon (a social satire essay)

I dare you, just do it. Walk down a busy street and count how many people you see who do not have a tattoo. And when you think you have spotted a person lacking one, without embarrassment ask them, “Excuse me, but I’m curious if you happen to contain a tattoo on your person?” I bet you the answer you will receive will be a positively “YES!” or maybe a more hesitate, “Uhmm yeahh??” Nevertheless, the majority of people today contain at least one tattoo. I am curious to know if we have asked ourselves, “Why?” What is it with our culture desiring to mark our bodies? Now, take a walk into your local church, mega church, mini church, you name it, walk in it. Do you see a difference? I certainly have not. It seems to me this tattoo fad has also permeated the church culture. The popularity of tattoos has increased, even among evangelical Christians who claim their main reason to get one is to be a witness for Christ. Is it necessary to receive a tattoo in order to be a witness for Christ? Especially when there is a possibility that tattoos will end up just being another social fad which fades?
Tattoos have been around since mankind has been on the earth. An article on Smithsonian.com dates some of the earliest tattoos back to 2000 B.C. These tattoos were
found on several female Egyptian mummies. However in 1991, excavators found an Iceman who appeared to have multiple tattoos and was dated back to 5,200 B.C. (“Tattoos” 2007, para. 4). Professor Don Brothwell of the University of York believes that during this time people received tattoos for therapeutic reasons. He believes this because of the location of the tattoos on the Iceman’s body; tattooed dots around his “right knee, lower spine and ankle joints” (“Tattoos” 2007, para. 5).
How is it that the human race’s view of tattoos has changed so drastically? They started out as a therapeutic procedure and now are viewed as a fashion style? When I was in high school it was a rare thing to come across someone who did not have a tattoo or someone who was not planning their own personal body art to be imprinted on themselves.  These individuals never took the time to stop and ask themselves any future based questions. “Will I like this ten years from now? “What will this look like twenty years from now?” or “How will other adults perceive a 40 year old man with a tattoo across his neck that reads, “Live fast, die fun”? No, the idea of getting a tattoo was all about the present. How do I feel right now? Who am I right now? What is currently going on in my life? Some people get tattoos for personal and sentimental reasons, the questions in that case becomes “Who has affected me the most at this point in my life?” “What has made the biggest impact on my life thus far?” These questions bring out one of the basic reasons why getting a tattoo is flawed: people change, tattoos don’t.
My personal preferences today are different than what they were eight years ago and what they will be ten years from now. I thank God that I wasn’t allowed to get a tattoo when I was obsessed with drawing the nautical star and broken hearts. Huffingpost.com researched the rise of tattoo removal, from 2011-2012 it increased 32%. Are we really surprised?
I am also grateful for my low toleration for pain; because of it I’m glad to say I am tattoo free. Currently in our society this would make me unique. Before an individual would stand out because of their tattoo, now it is just the opposite. Tattoos are a way to express ourselves to the world, to show our individuality and how we are different, how we are set apart. For me however, I will pass on being unique and three to fifteen fine needles puncturing my skin 150 times a second. Just think if it as sowing, without the thread! (“The rise and rise of the tattoo” 2010, para. 3)
As a Christian, I can expect this tattoo phenomenon from the world, pain for pleasure, having your own identity and wanting it to stand out. However what puzzles me is how popular tattoos are among Christians. Now, if you are a Christian reading this, I bet you five dollars and my high school nautical star drawings that you are thinking, “Are you saying Christians aren’t allowed to get a tattoo?! Nowhere in the Bible does it say we can’t get a tattoo!” Why is it that many Christians look at Christianity as list of what we can and cannot do? I am not saying that Christians are not allowed to get their precious Jesus tattoos, what I am asking is, why would a true Christian want to get a tattoo?
Mayo Clinic.com briefly goes over how a tattoo is performed:
A tattoo is a permanent mark or design made on your skin with pigments inserted through pricks into the skin's top layer. Typically, the tattoo artist uses a hand-held machine that acts much like a sewing machine, with one or more needles piercing the skin repeatedly. With every puncture, the needles insert tiny ink droplets. The process — which is done without anesthetics — causes a small amount of bleeding and slight to potentially significant pain (“Tattoos: Understand risks and precautions”, para. 3).
Am I the only one who finds it extremely odd that Christians are okay with having a needle
puncture their skin, bleed, have ink inserted into the skin and be in extreme pain while this is happening? But maybe, that is why God gave us skin, to draw all of it, right? Oh, I know, it is okay because you thought long and hard about it. I guess we should just pretend that our body is a canvas that we purchased at Wal-Mart.
The motivation for getting a tattoo makes this even more absurd. The Christians who get tattoos endure the pain for themselves, for future pleasure. This is mind blowing to me because at the very root of being a Christian is the teaching that we are to deny ourselves. Why would I get a tattoo for myself and to show others that I am different when the Bible teaches to deny our flesh and our lusts? 1 John 2:15-17 says,                            
 “Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.”
Tattoos are the lust of the world. Why would I pursue something that is not from the Father?
           
             Christians justify their ink by Christianizing it. They will get a verse, a cross, a quote and claim it helps them be a light in a dark world. Last time I checked we are not to be like the world to win the world, but to open our mouth and speak the gospel to win the world. Last time I checked being a Christian living a set apart life meant pursuing holiness, not proving they are unique with their ink. Part of me looks forward to the day I will see these tattooed Christians described what their tattoo once was. When they are old, have wrinkled skin and someone comes up to them to ask what that black smudge is on their arm. “Well, it did say John 3:16, but that was thirty years ago”.
           
      The bottom line is that as Christians we have to remember that we do not own our body and our life is not our own. “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body” 1 Corinthians 6:19-20. Everything we do, including getting a tattoo should be for Jesus and should be done in the name of Jesus (Colossians 3:17). 



Photo retrieved from: http://ndebon.com/christian-tattoo-ideas/christian-tattoo-quotes/

Popular posts from this blog

10 Questions to ask a Jehovah's Witness (or other cult member) to Help Open Their Mind

Approaching Two Jehovah's Witnesses to Discuss Christmas and Their Double Standard

The truth that sets free is Jesus!